If you own a service business, you’ll likely come to a point where you need to get yourself out of the day-to-day to keep growing your company. That’s the focus of this week’s Wild Business Growth Podcast guest, Tyler Gillespie. Tyler is a Serial Entrepreneur and the Thinking Time Chief of Productized.Services. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast platforms.
Episode 148: Tyler Gillespie – Thinking Time Chief, Founder of Productized.Services
Tyler Gillespie, the Serial Entrepreneur and Thinking Time Chief of Productized.Services, joins the show to share his journey from his family’s luxury vacation rental business to relocating to Medellín and helping entrepreneurs productize their service businesses. Hear how to stop being the doer, track your tasks and outsource what you need to, create appealing virtual packages, his favorite Colombian fruit, and go-to style of dance. This episode covers everything from outsourcing to walks without technology. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How was Tyler’s start in his family business
- What was the top thing that kept bringing him back to Medellín
- Why should any entrepreneur with a service business be interested in productizing
- How do you do the undo aka stop being the doer
- How do you commit to tracking how you’re spending your time
- How do you know your packages resonate with clients
- Why does scarcity resonate with people
- Papaya coming out of their ears?!
Connect with Tyler at Productized.Services.
Enjoy the shoooooow! Check out the show notes below for much more detail.
- Intro & Family Business
- [0:28] Email me at to save time with your high-quality podcast and use it as a business-building tool
- [0:39] Connect with Tyler at Productized.Services
- [2:01] Entrepreneurship
- [2:14] Shoutout Jacci Schiff from PodReacher!
- [2:28] How was Tyler’s start in his family business
- [3:02] Property Management, Vacation Rentals, Airbnb
- [3:26] What were Tyler’s favorite perks of working with family
- [3:53] Aspen, CO
- [4:09] Bentley, Ferrari
- [4:48] What’s the biggest business lesson Tyler learned from working with family
- [4:57] Customer Service
- [5:45] Narcos
- [5:50] How has Tyler’s experience been in Medellín, Colombia
- [7:07] “Millions” in Spanish is “millones”
- [7:12] What was the top thing that kept bringing Tyler back to Medellín
- [8:18] Network
- [8:35] Fantasticallywonderful
- Productizing Your Service Business
- [8:59] MaxPodcasting
- [9:18] What made Tyler realize he needed to productize his business
- [9:28] Marketing Agency, Service Business, Consultancy, Freelancer
- [9:58] Turnover, Client
- [10:09] Built to Sell by John Warrillow
- [10:42] Gluten for Punishment
- [11:35] Gluten-Free
- [12:13] Why should any entrepreneur with a service business be interested in productizing
- [12:29] Revenue
- [12:58] Technology (Tech)
- [13:10] The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber
- [13:28] How do you do the undo aka stop being the doer
- [14:42] Brick-and-Mortar, Business Model
- [15:30] How do you outsource
- [15:48] Sales
- [16:02] VA (Virtual Assistant)
- [16:32] What are $5 tasks
- [16:44] Email, Website, Autoresponder
- [17:24] CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- [18:10] How do you commit to tracking how you’re spending your time
- [18:38] Task Tracking, Counting Calories, Personal Trainer
- [19:40] How else can you productize your business
- [20:06] Scope Creep
- [20:30] Amazon, Product
- [20:48] How do you create “virtual packaging” for your offering
- [21:58] How do you know your packages resonate with clients
- [22:26] Market
- [23:12] Thought Leadership, Content Pros
- [23:25] Positioning
- [23:58] Where do you spend your time once your business is productized
- [24:25] The Mechanism
- [24:43] Finance, Marketing
- [25:03] CEO (Chief Executive Officer), Advisor
- [25:58] What’s the most helpful action Tyler has taken to productize his businesses
- [26:37] Blog Post
- Inspiration & Creativity: People, Hobbies, and Resources
- [28:20] A real zinger!
- [28:41] Applause Lab, Testimonials
- [29:03] How can you be and stay creative
- [29:21] Tom Bilyeu, Impact Theory, Thinkitating, Meditating
- [31:00] How did Tyler get into chess
- [31:17] Chess Club
- [32:02] The Productized Chess Board!
- [32:10] The Queen’s Gambit
- [32:34] What are Tyler’s favorite resources to stay creative
- [32:48] Podcasts, Audiobooks
- [33:04] The Road Less Stupid by Keith Cunningham
- [33:16] Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, Tony Robbins
- [33:33] Thinking Time Process
- [33:57] The Road Stupid by Max Branstetter
- Wild Business Shoutout of the Week
- The Unusual: Pet Peeves, Quirks, and Weird Talents
- [37:23] What is a quirk Tyler has
- Rapid-Fire Q&A
- [39:43] What is Tyler’s favorite dance move
- [39:59] Muscle Memory
- [40:08] What was helpful in Tyler learning Spanish
- [40:28] Horse (Knight)
- [40:42] Maracuya, Papaya
- [40:53] Papaya coming out of their ears?!
- [41:21] What’s the #1 thing you have to do in Medellín
- [41:47] Cacao
- [41:58] Flower Farm Tour
- [42:15] Connect with Tyler at Productized.Services
- [43:06] What are Tyler’s final thoughts
- [43:42] Follow the Wild Business Growth Podcast and tell a friend about the podcast
- [43:48] Check out the Wild Business Growth Podcast on GoodPods, where you can see what your favorite people are listening to
- [43:53] Connect with me on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn at @MaxBranstetter
- [43:58] Save time with your high-quality podcast. Email me at to bring your podcast to life and use it as a business-building tool
- Theme music: Freestyle Percussion Magik – Jungle Tribe – provided by Jamendo
What is the Wild Business Growth Podcast?
Wild ideas. Wild growth. Every Wednesday morning a new entrepreneur or innovator joins the Wild Business Growth Podcast to share the crazy creative and unusual ways they grew their business, and provides tips for you to do it, too. Hear the woman who became the voice of Siri, the man who’s reinventing the sandcastle, how GaryVee’s partners are turning the wine world upside down, and more wild stories. Hosted by Max Branstetter (that’s me), Founder and Podcast Producer at MaxPodcasting.
How do you start a podcast?
Interested in starting a professional-sounding podcast for your brand, but don’t want to deal with the time commitment? I’ve got you covered. Email me at to save time with your high-quality podcast and use it as a business-building tool.
Thanks for listening to Tyler Gillespie on the Wild Business Growth Podcast. To hear more Wild stories like this one every Wednesday morning, follow the Wild Business Growth Podcast and tell a friend about it. Until next time, Let your business Run Wild…and Bring on the Bongos!!