Wow. That’s all I can say after interviewing the Wild Business Growth Podcast guest for Episode 150, Jim Markham. Jim is the Celebrity Hair Stylist, Serial Entrepreneur, and Bestselling Author of Big Lucky. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast platforms.
Episode 150: Jim Markham – Legendary Celebrity Hair Stylist, Hair Care Pioneer
Jim Markham, the Celebrity Hair Stylist, Serial Entrepreneur, and Bestselling Author of Big Lucky, joins the show to share his journey from getting married and having a child at age 15 to founding several hair care companies that have netted over $1.2 billion in sales. Hear how to find your point of difference when positioning, start a successful product line, the business lessons Jim learned from Jay Sebring, how pimps and Playboy changed his life, and stories from working with Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Johnny Carson, and Frank Sinatra. This episode covers everything from checkers to lawsuits. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Playing Checkers with Pimps on Sunset Boulevard
- How do you handle having your back against the wall
- How did Jim get into contact with Jay Sebring
- How did Jim transition from cutting hair to selling hair care products
- What led to the huge success of Pureology
- What allowed Jim to be first with so many products and product benefits
- What is a tip about flying a plane he can share
- What are some celebrity stories he can share
Buy Big Lucky on Amazon.
Enjoy the shoooooow! Check out the show notes below for much more detail.
- Intro & Checkers
- [0:36] Email me at to save time with your high-quality podcast and use it as a business-building tool
- [0:47] Buy Big Lucky on Amazon
- [2:19] Serial Entrepreneur
- [2:45] What does the game of checkers mean to Jim?
- [3:18] Pureology
- [3:25] Sunset Boulevard
- [3:43] Playing Checkers with Pimps on Sunset Boulevard
- [4:08] How do you handle having your back against the wall
- [4:53] Paul Newman, Johnny Carson, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen
- [5:41] Fax Machines
- [6:43] Old 14th
- Becoming a Celebrity Hair Stylist & Hair Care Pioneer
- [7:24] What pulled Jim into hair styling and hair care in the first place
- [7:47] Barber School
- [8:37] Shoutout Uncle Clarence! Shaved the way
- [8:56] When did Jim realize he could have a career in the hair care industry
- [9:21] Amarillo, TX, Dallas, TX, Cincinnati, OH
- [10:02] Jay Sebring in 1965 Playboy
- [10:36] Van Johnson
- [10:53] Franchise, Albuquerque, NM
- [11:08] Mentor
- [11:09] How did Jim get into contact with Jay Sebring
- [11:33] Product Line
- [11:49] Farmington, NM
- [12:15] Licensed Pilot
- [12:24] Sebring Products
- [12:35] What are the top lessons Jim learned about business from Jay Sebring
- [13:48] Charles Manson Murders, Sharon Tate
- [14:00] Black Porsche, Frank Sinatra, James Garner, Peter Lawford
- [16:01] The Candy Store, The Bumble & Bumble
- [16:15] Big Lucky
- [17:07] How do you keep plugging along when suffering a devastating loss
- [17:49] The cat’s meow!
- [17:57] L’Oréal
- [18:05] SexyHair, Alterna, ColorProof, Markham Products
- [18:45] Rocky Balboa
- [19:14] Hypnotist, Fortune Teller
- [20:19] How did Jim transition from cutting hair to selling hair care products
- [20:50] Hollywood Boulevard, Fairfax & Vine
- [21:25] Public Relations (PR), Distributors
- [21:57] Business Model
- [22:02] The Sebring Method
- [22:18] ABBA
- [22:47] Product Development
- [22:57] The $55 Haircut for a Whole Lot Less
- [23:46] Clout
- [24:33] Marketing
- [24:53] What led to the huge success of Pureology
- [26:28] Color Vive
- [26:42] Sulfate-Free, Vegan
- [27:01] Anti-Fade Complex, Anti-Frizz
- [27:53] Fragrancing
- [28:34] Packaging, Distribution, Product Benefits, Consumer
- [29:58] Color-Treated Hair
- [30:06] Positioning, Point of Difference
- [31:02] What allowed Jim to be first with so many products and product benefits
- [31:17] Trademarks
- [34:50] Breck Shampoo
- [35:43] Widget
- [36:12] Save time with your high-quality podcast. Email me at to bring your podcast to life and use it as a business-building tool
- Big Lucky: Serial Entrepreneur Jim Markham’s Secret Formula for Success
- Wild Business Shoutout of the Week
- [41:32] Creative Marketing
- Rapid-Fire Q&A
- [45:22] What is a tip about flying a plane Jim can share
- [45:42] What is a Weird Talent Jim has
- [46:08] Shoutout Cheryl!
- [46:16] Does Jim have a go-to yoga pose
- [46:42] Bazinga!
- [47:04] What’s a celebrity story Jim can share
- [47:28] Beverly Hills, CA, Joanne Woodward
- [48:24] What’s one more celebrity story Jim can share
- [48:34] Zuma Beach
- [48:43] Indian, Harley-Davidson
- [49:52] Buy Big Lucky on Amazon
- [51:08] Follow the Wild Business Growth Podcast and tell a friend about the podcast
- [51:16] Check out the Wild Business Growth Podcast on GoodPods, where you can see what your favorite people are listening to
- [51:23] Connect with me on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn at @MaxBranstetter
- [51:28] Save time with your high-quality podcast. Email me at to bring your podcast to life and use it as a business-building tool
- Theme music: Freestyle Percussion Magik – Jungle Tribe – provided by Jamendo
What is the Wild Business Growth Podcast?
Wild ideas. Wild growth. Every Wednesday morning a new entrepreneur or innovator joins the Wild Business Growth Podcast to share the crazy creative and unusual ways they grew their business, and provides tips for you to do it, too. Hear the woman who became the voice of Siri, the man who’s reinventing the sandcastle, how GaryVee’s partners are turning the wine world upside down, and more wild stories. Hosted by Max Branstetter (that’s me), Founder and Podcast Producer at MaxPodcasting.
How do you start a podcast?
Interested in starting a professional-sounding podcast for your brand, but don’t want to deal with the time commitment? I’ve got you covered. Email me at to save time with your high-quality podcast and use it as a business-building tool.
Thanks for listening to Jim Markham on the Wild Business Growth Podcast. To hear more Wild stories like this one every Wednesday morning, follow the Wild Business Growth Podcast and tell a friend about it. Until next time, Let your business Run Wild…and Bring on the Bongos!!