Drybar. How did an in-home blowout service turn into over 150 locations across the US with thousands of employees? The answer is best heard from this week’s Wild Business Growth Podcast guest, Alli Webb. She’s the Co-Founder of Drybar, Squeeze, and Becket + Quill. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast platforms.
Episode 138: Alli Webb – Co-Founder of Drybar, Squeeze, and Becket + Quill
Alli Webb, the Co-Founder of Drybar, New York Times Bestselling Author, and Shark Tank Guest Shark, joins the show to share her journey building Drybar from an in-home blowout service for her friends to over 150 locations across the US. Hear the key decisions she made to scale Drybar, how to maintain fantastic customer service while rapidly growing your business, stay confident in your vision, her creative entrepreneurship lessons, and her favorite type of fries. This episode covers everything from The Drybar Story to the thing Alli’s kids make fun of her for. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What was the first blowout Alli did
- What has led to the success of Drybar
- How do you make sure your customer service stays outstanding
- How did Alli overcome the doubts of her idea
- When did she get the entrepreneurial bug
- How is Olive & June taking a Drybar approach to nails
- What are Alli’s favorite hair tools and products
- What are the most memorable moments from her Raising the Bar podcast
Connect with Alli on Instagram at @AlliWebb.
Enjoy the shooooow! Check out the show notes below for much more detail.
- Intro & Blowouts
- [0:36] Email me at to save time with your high-quality podcast and use it as a business-building tool
- [0:54] Connect with Alli on Instagram at @AlliWebb
- [1:58] Drybar, Alli’s Wikipedia Page
- [2:24] The story of Dana’s first picture featuring me and her Drybar blowout
- [3:02] Brand
- [3:29] Board Meeting
- [4:14] What was the first blowout Alli ever did
- [4:35] Hair Salon
- [5:00] Beauty School, Boca Raton, FL
- [5:41] Bazinga!
- [5:55] How did the Florida humidity impact Alli’s approach to hair styling
- The Drybar Story & Creative Entrepreneurship Lessons
- [7:19] Shoutout Spense!
- [7:35] When did Alli know she would start a business in the first place
- [7:42] Entrepreneurs
- [9:43] Dad Jokes
- [9:47] How did Alli stay confident in her vision
- [10:31] Demand, Brick-and-Mortar
- [10:42] Business Plan
- [11:16] Client
- [11:52] What made Alli decide to scale Drybar
- [13:28] What is a key decision she made that helped scale Drybar
- [13:38] Michael Landau
- [15:13] Sara Stark from Dishoom on the Wild Business Growth Podcast
- [15:41] How do you deliver fantastic customer experience at so many locations
- [16:20] Checks-and-Balances
- [16:35] Customer Service, Bartenders
- [17:33] Where did the ideas for Squeeze and Becket + Quill come from
- [18:51] Nicole Miller
- [19:13] Business Degree
- [20:00] App
- [20:15] Direct-to-Consumer (DTC)
- [21:43] Save time with your high-quality podcast. Email me at to bring your podcast to life and use it as a business-building tool
- Wild Business Shoutout of the Week
- [22:39] Creative Marketing
- Rapid-Fire Q&A
- [28:00] Thanks for the question, Kristin!
- [28:15] 3-Day Bender, Mai Tai Sea Salt Spritzer, Detox Dry Shampoo Vanilla Bourbon
- [28:57] What is Alli’s favorite creative hobby
- [29:18] Raising the Bar Podcast
- [29:42] GT Dave
- [29:53] Adrian Koehler
- [31:01] Claire Babineaux-Fontenot, CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Feeding America
- [31:37] We did record this, in case you were wondering
- [31:54] What is a quirk Alli has
- [32:07] Instagram Stories
- [32:44] McDonald’s Fries, Jack In The Box Seasoned Curly fries
- [32:57] Ride-or-Die Fries
- [33:10] Connect with Alli on Instagram at @AlliWebb
- [33:31] What are Alli’s final thoughts
- [34:11] Follow the Wild Business Growth Podcast and tell a friend about the podcast
- [34:23] Check out the Wild Business Growth Podcast on GoodPods, where you can see what your favorite people are listening to
- [34:27] Connect with me on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn at @MaxBranstetter
- [34:31] Save time with your high-quality podcast. Email me at to bring your podcast to life and use it as a business-building tool
- Theme music: Freestyle Percussion Magik – Jungle Tribe – provided by Jamendo
What is the Wild Business Growth Podcast?
Wild ideas. Wild growth. Every Wednesday morning a new entrepreneur or innovator joins the Wild Business Growth Podcast to share the crazy creative and unusual ways they grew their business, and provides tips for you to do it, too. Hear the woman who became the voice of Siri, the man who’s reinventing the sandcastle, how GaryVee’s partners are turning the wine world upside down, and more wild stories. Hosted by Max Branstetter (that’s me), Founder and Podcast Producer at MaxPodcasting.
How do you start a podcast?
Interested in starting a professional-sounding podcast for your brand, but don’t want to deal with the time commitment? I’ve got you covered. Email me at to save time with your high-quality podcast and use it as a business-building tool.
Thanks for listening to Alli Webb on the Wild Business Growth Podcast. To hear more Wild stories like this one every Wednesday morning, follow the Wild Business Growth Podcast and tell a friend about it. Until next time, Let your business Run Wild…and Bring on the Bongos!!