How’d you like to drink from a baseball bat? You can, thanks to this week’s Wild Business Growth Podcast guests, Randall Thompson & Kris Dehnert. Randall & Kris are the Founder and CEO of Dugout Mugs. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast platforms.
Episode 159: Randall Thompson & Kris Dehnert – Dugout Mugs, Bat Men
Randall Thompson and Kris Dehnert, the Founder and CEO of Dugout Mugs, join the show to share their journey from seeing the potential in cut-off baseball bats to creating MLB-licensed mugs and a company on the Inc. 5000. Hear how to gather customer feedback as you create your product, come up with new product ideas, become an officially licensed product, the SUV Model of creative marketing, and their favorite MLB players they’ve met through their business. This episode covers everything from baseball memories to business growth tips. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Where did the idea for Dugout Mugs come from
- What would Randall as a kid think about what he does now
- How do you get licensed by the MLB
- What is the most helpful feedback Randall & Kris received about the Dugout Mugs
- How does Dugout Mugs keep innovating
- What marketing tactics have worked best for Dugout Mugs
- How do you use the SUV Model
- What are Randall & Kris’s favorite Dugout Mugs
Enjoy the shoooooow! Check out the show notes below for much more detail.
- Intro & Baseball
- [0:27] Email me at to save time with your high-quality podcast and use it as a business-building tool
- [0:37] Connect with Randall and Kris at DugoutMugs.com and on social media
- [2:05] Entrepreneurship
- [2:24] What would Randall as a kid think about what he does now
- [2:39] MLB (Major League Baseball), MiLB (Minor League Baseball)
- [3:18] Where did the idea for Dugout Mugs come from
- [3:24] Toronto Blue Jays, Florida Tech (Florida Institute of Technology)
- [3:50] Does Randall like to create new things out of other things
- [4:12] How did Kris get connected with Randall
- [4:48] Consulting
- [5:02] Internet
- [5:28] Product
- [7:16] Sales
- [7:32] Oh my, Max
- The Dugout Mugs Story
- [7:54] How did Randall and Kris get feedback and improve the product
- [8:08] Customers
- [8:32] What is the most helpful feedback Randall and Kris received about the Dugout Mugs
- [9:50] 10X
- [10:07] What are Kris’s main priorities as CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
- [11:06] Well vs. Good
- [11:25] Innovation
- [11:48] Customer Experience (CX)
- [11:58] Ha!
- [12:11] MLBPA (Major League Baseball Players Association)
- [12:29] Here we go
- [12:40] How do you get licensed by the MLB
- [12:54] Networking
- [13:47] Sales Process
- [14:34] Dos Equis (XX)
- [14:43] What marketing tactics have worked best for Dugout Mugs
- [15:27] Lifetime Warranty
- [16:21] Facebook Ad, News Feed
- [16:42] Social Media
- [16:50] How cute
- [17:08] Emails, Customer Service
- [17:42] Vivid Verbs
- [17:47] Dugout Mugs Product Mix
- [18:12] How does Dugout Mugs keep innovating
- [18:30] Limited Runs
- [19:42] Save time with your high-quality podcast. Email me at to bring your podcast to life and use it as a business-building tool
- Wild Business Shoutout of the Week
- Rapid-Fire Q&A
- [23:00] Classic Mug MLB Logo
- [23:12] The Sandlot Mug, David Mickey Evans
- [23:48] Baby Ruth (Babe Ruth)
- [23:57] Ken Griffey, Jr.
- [23:06] Griffey didn’t actually text me
- [24:35] David Ortiz, Cal Ripken, Jr.
- [25:35] What are Randall’s Final Thoughts – Baseball Edition
- [25:43] Follow the Wild Business Growth Podcast and tell a friend about the podcast
- [26:10] Check out the Wild Business Growth Podcast on GoodPods, where you can see what your favorite people are listening to
- [26:14] Connect with me on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn at @MaxBranstetter
- [26:15] Save time with your high-quality podcast. Email me at to bring your podcast to life and use it as a business-building tool
- Theme music: Freestyle Percussion Magik – “Jungle Tribe” – provided by Jamendo
What is the Wild Business Growth Podcast?
Wild ideas. Wild growth. Every Wednesday morning a new entrepreneur or innovator joins the Wild Business Growth Podcast to share the crazy creative and unusual ways they grew their business, and provides tips for you to do it, too. Hear the woman who became the voice of Siri, the man who’s reinventing the sandcastle, how GaryVee’s partners are turning the wine world upside down, and more wild stories. Hosted by Max Branstetter (that’s me), Founder and Podcast Producer at MaxPodcasting.
How do you start a podcast?
Interested in starting a professional-sounding podcast for your brand, but don’t want to deal with the time commitment? I’ve got you covered. Email me at to save time with your high-quality podcast and use it as a business-building tool.
Thanks for listening to Randall Thompson & Kris Dehnert on the Wild Business Growth Podcast. To hear more Wild stories like this one every Wednesday morning, follow the Wild Business Growth Podcast and tell a friend about it. Until next time, Let your business Run Wild…and Bring on the Bongos!!